Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Rotan

As we were preparing to meet the group for breakfast this morning, Denise and I heard drums outside of our window. The local people had come out to greet us with drums and dancers. I think there may have even been a conch shell blowing. This was the island I was most excited to see and even from afar the land was beautiful.



Once our tenderboat hit the dock, we were greeted with a flurry of activity. Some of the people on our ship had the opportunity to dance with the locals. I think they enjoyed it. hehe


The guy in the conga line was out on the dance floor every night. Ironically, the women he traveled with didn't seem to like to dance.

In the second picture you will see Julie and her mom. Julie is a full time care giver and this was the first trip out of England for the both of them. They came early and went to Disney Land. I met them on the bus ride out to the boat in Miami.

As we left the dock, there were people everywhere. Adults trying to see us tours of the island and children trying to sell us jewelry. You had to fight your way through to the shops.



Star and her sister, Elda, met us at the first shop and asked if they could walk with us. They were very helpful and it was fun to get to know a little about their family and the local culture. They were out of schoolf or "holiday" until February. Probably so the kids can work the tourist season. Even when school is in session, they only attend in the morning.

Erik (I really don't know who he was) made friends with Rick and convinced us to take a tour of the island. Elda went as our guide and probably would have done quite well if she had not gotten car sick. Oops! It was a beautiful trip. I bought a small purse type thing to put my key card in since none of my clothes seemed to have pockets and Aunt Phyllis bought 2 bottles of Vanilla. Guess who we be baking when she returns home??



The show tonight was Circ Pan. Peter Pan looked mighty nice!! The performance was excellent. I can not imagine the strength it must take to do some of the things they were doing on that stage! I gave them a standing ovation, but was one of only 3. Oh, well.

After the show, we went to the Staff Follies. Rick was pulled up into one of the games and had to stuff a woman's oversized jumpsuit full of balloons. I wish I had pictures of this one!! I still giggle when I picture the balloons popping out of her bum. hehe Eagle also got to participate in the games. He got to try and pull a spoon tied to a string through his clothes. His team lost, but Eagle played very well. Too well, in fact. I think he has done this before!

The Carribean Deck Party started shortly after the Follies, but was rained out before it got going too strong. The rain only lasted about 10 minutes and the wind was blowing hard enough to dry you out in another 10. After that the night was rather uneventful - although I did meet with Pam and Eagle to talk over another midnight snack. It has been great getting to know them! Bedtime tonight was a bit earlier as I found my room around 2:30am.

Another beautiful sunset.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home