Sunday, January 02, 2005

On the Open Seas

Much that happened during this trip could have provided fodder for a creative comedian. This day began my comedy of errors. It started off well. Breakfast with the fam and wandering around the ship. I spent a bit of time listening to Rae Rae talk about the shore excursions and all was well.

At noon, the dance lessons began. The first class was entitled, "Carribbean Line Dance." It lasted for all of 15 minutes. Luckily we had Pam and Eagle around to teach us a few dances of our own. One lady walked in and started learning with us. We didn't think anything about it until she asked Pam if the class was over. She had come late for the scheduled class and ended up in our private session. Pam laughed and explained what had happened.

The "Cha-Cha-Cha Class" was quite different. Very professional. Our onboard championship ballroom dancers were the instructors and they were good. Olga was her name. I wish I could remember his. Part way through our class, however, the ocean got a bit more active and we the ship began to dip from one side to the other. This did not bother our professional instructors. The rest of us, however, had a very difficult time staying on our feet. We were supposed to be counting, 1, 2, 3 and 4, but it sounded more like, 1, 2, 3 and WHOA!

As wonderful as those classes were, I left the room seasick and missed most of the rest of the afternoon activities. Someone else will have to fill in the blanks. I slept.

That night was our formal dinner. We had to dress up in formal wear and go to the dining room, where we joined Don and Marlene in celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary and Joe and Marie in celebrating their 40th wedding anniversary. I think we were supposed to be celebrating Nick's 22 B-Day as well, but I don't remember doing that. Sorry Nick!

Richard and Jared missed the dinner, preferring instead to dine without a tie. Smart boys. Somehow Rick was able to sneak in without them telling him to go put a tie on. Wonder what his secret was??

Rick and Marilyn got me in trouble that night. They ate up all their butter and wanted more. I told them that I couldn't throw, but they wanted me to toss them a pad anyway. I tried to remember everything I learned in softball last year and released high so I wouldn't slam the butter into the table. I guess I over compensated because the butter flew up and over Marilyn's outstretched hand and hit a nicely dressed woman at the table behind her on the back of the head with a thud. I tried to look nonchalant, but I couldn't stop laughing! Other than that, the dinner was nice, and I did dine with the rest of the group, but I must have dashed out early because they took pictures without me. Sob, sob.


Chances are, I had already left so I could see the 9:30pm show. It was Danny somebody from Las Vegas. He was quite good, actually, and who could complain about how he filled out that white shirt. Yikes!

When the show was over, I joined Pam and Eagle in Dazzles, which was quickly becoming my 2nd home on the ship, and danced with the band. Inevitable, the professional dancers moved beyond my ability and I sat down to watch. One of our friendly Cruise Director's Staff also found the moves too difficult and asked me to dance, "the normal way." hehe We danced for a couple of songs. I had no idea what I was doing and was so nervous I sweat buckets! My family enjoyed watching, however, and I did not live it down for the rest of the week.

I met a few new people on the dance floor as the night went on; a woman from the Bahamas and another from Florida, but eventually decided I needed to "air out" on the roof. On the way up, I saw some guy sitting by himself near the pool. Feeling friendly and outgoing, I stopped to talk. We chatted for a while about various things before I asked him if he was here with a large group or just a few friends. Realization dawned as he said he was here with the other side of his aunt's family. I felt rather foolish as I exclaimed, "Oh, are you with MY group!" Yep, it was Jared. Guess I must not have paid very close attention when we were introduced the night before. Oh, well.

I really enjoyed my time on the roof. It was quite windy, but there was no one around so I could sing and pray out loud. It was a great place to spend my quiet time. It was as if the rest of the world was asleep. My evenings began to get longer. It was 2am before I found my room that night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home